A. S. Colyar Released From Bond on Thursday

AS Colyar ReleasedAnother in our series of new transcriptions of contemporary articles on the Leo Frank case.

Atlanta Journal

Thursday, May 29th, 1913

Tennessee Authorities Failed to Forward Requisition Papers on Date Agreed

A. S. Colyar, the Tennessean, who figured conspicuously in the recent dictograph sensation involving bribery charges and countercharges of graft between Colonel Thomas B. Felder, Mayor Woodward and others, on the one hand and Chief of Police Beavers and Chief of Detectives aLnford [sic], on the other was released from his bond Thursday at 2 p. m. by Chief Beavers.

Colyar’s name jumped into the news when the dictograph matter became public and the following day there came a wire from the Knoxville police to the Atlanta police, asking that Colyar be arrested and held for them. They charged an indictment for forgery. Accordingly, Colyar was arrested. He said the charge was four years old and had never been prosecuted. He alleged a conspiracy.

A few hours later, Colyar was released on bond.

Thursday was the day set by the Tennessee police for the delivery of requisition papers and the extradition of Colyar to Tennessee.

No documents came, but instead Chief Beavers received a letter from the Knoxville chief of police requesting that Colyar be held until June 3.

Chief Beavers declined to accede to this. His reply to the Knoxville chief was quoted by him to be that immediate action would have to be taken on Thursday or he would order the release of Colyar and his bondsmen.

Grand Jury Subpena Is Served Upon A. S. Colyar

The [1 word illegible] Thursday morning of a grand jury subpena for A. S. Colyar to appear before the grand jury Friday morning led to the belief that the grand jury had decided to make an investigation of the charges which have been made [1 word illegible] A. S. Colyar and the city detectives against Colonel T. B. Felder and the counter charges which Colonel Felder has made against them.

An investigation developed the fact that the city detectives, anticipating that the grand jury would make such an investigation had the subpena issued so that A. S. Colyar would be on hand should his testimony be needed.

The grand jury has taken no action [1 word illegible] to an investigation and it does not meet until some time next week, the actual date not having been fixed.

A. S. Colyar was served with the subpena and stated that he would be available to the grand jury should it want to interrogate him.

Burns’ Detective, Tobie, Left Atlanta Thursday

C. W. Tobie, the Burns detective, who on Tuesday evening announced that he had discontinued his investigation into the murder of Mary Phagan left Thursday afternoon for Chicago.

Just prior to taking his train, Mr. Tobie denied that he had given out an interview to the effect that William Burns would himself come to Atlanta soon after his return to this country from Europe. “I have made no such statement, and I am not advised of any such intention on the part of Mr. Burns,” declared Mr. Tobie.

* * *

Atlanta Journal, May 29th 1913, “A. S. Colyar Released From Bond on Thursday,” Leo Frank case newspaper article series (Original PDF)